A Post on Staying Healthy While Traveling by Cape Town Personal Trainer JP Steyl
Few things are more synonymous with summer than vacation. And few things can throw your healthy lifestyle off track faster than a summer vacation!
We love to get away. There is something inherently rejuvenating and restorative about leaving home for a few days and getting away from the daily routines and responsibilities of life. It is no wonder that people often return from a vacation with clear minds, creative ideas and a renewed outlook on life.
But people also return from vacation heavier and with taste buds trained to again want rich, unhealthy food. What at the time seemed like a harmless break from routine (a few too many splurge meals and skipped workouts) often turns into a battle upon returning home—suddenly working out and eating well is harder than it was before we left home.
It doesn’t have to be that way however. Let’s go over a few simple ways that you can avoid the after-vacation regret while still having a great time on your get-away.
- Don’t stop working out. It is very important to keep your metabolism up while you are on vacation. Whether you are traveling by car or plane, you’re going to be sitting more. Help your body keep burning fat and keep blood glucose levels stable by exercising every day.
- Take healthy snacks. Why do we munch more when we travel? There’s something about strapping in for a long trip that makes us reach for food. Rather than fight the urge (who needs that pressure on vacation?), just be prepared with foods that you can eat as much as you want! Raw veggies are a great choice.
- Drink water. Traveling can cause you to dehydrate quickly. If you don’t get enough water, you can feel fatigued, have blurry vision and even have trouble concentrating. That’s no way to feel on vacation! Stay hydrated so you can enjoy yourself!
- Make sure your hotel room has a fridge and microwave. If you are at the mercy of restaurant menus for an entire week, you are going to struggle to eat healthy. By having a fridge and microwave available to you, you can make some of your own meals. Find a grocery store when you arrive at your vacation spot and stock up on simple, healthy foods that you can eat. You might even pack foods like lean eats to bring with you. Then you can truly enjoy a few restaurant meals while you are there!
- Get plenty of sleep. The last thing you want is to return home from a road trip sleep deprived. But sadly, many of us do. It’s hard to sleep away from home. The good news, however, is that there are several things you can do to sleep better in a hotel room. These include playing relaxing music on your iPhone (to block out any unruly neighbors), taking your own special blanket and pillow (so you relax more quickly), and turning off all screens (computers, phones, iPads, televisions) 30 minutes before you go to sleep.
Have a great trip!
GREATEST VICTORIES ARE BORN IN THE HEART
JP Steyl- Head Coach at ForeverStrong
PS- It Pays to Refer! See below:
– Receive R100 cash for every person that you refer to our program who becomes a trial member
– Receive R500 cash for every person that you refer who becomes a paying member of ForeverStrong
Please note that due to the volume of marketing we do, we simply can’t reward you if those you know who join DON’T mention your name. So please make sure you tell anyone you refer to tell us that you sent them our way to best make sure you get the credit for the referral when they become a member.
P.S. – If you enjoyed this post please share it with your friends using the social media buttons below.
P.P.S. – Please ask a question or share a comment with us in the Leave a Comment section at the very bottom of the page. We love your feedback and will use it to develop future blog posts.